The Center for Election Innovation & Research (CEIR) is a nonpartisan non-profit with a proven track record of working with election officials from around the country and from both sides of the aisle. Our mission is to restore trust in the American election system and promote election procedures that encourage participation and ensure election integrity and security.
CEIR seeks a qualified Research Director to join our team.
The Research Director will report to the Executive Director and lead CEIR’s research initiatives. These initiatives include, but are not limited to, matters pertaining to voter registration, voter access, election integrity and security, and election policy, generally. The Research Director will set goals aligned with CEIR’s mission and provide the research team with strategic direction on how to reach those goals, all while ensuring the rigor, integrity, and quality of all research activities.
- Collaborates with leadership to build CEIR’s research portfolio
- Leads the identification of new projects to conduct internally or in partnership with election officials, academics, and other experts
- Engages with stakeholders on research concepts
- Works with outside consultants as necessary
- Oversees the development of and compliance with research and data agreements
- Manages all research activities including project design, data collection, analysis, and dissemination of research findings
- Conducts research, analysis, and writing for selected projects
- Leads the dissemination of research findings through publications, briefings, and presentations (media training is a plus)
- Hires, trains, and supervises research staff, fellows, and interns
- Maintains effective communication and coordination with leadership staff
- Contributes to CEIR’s leadership team
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced and highly motivated individual who wants to join a growing nonprofit that seeks to make a substantial, positive, nonpartisan impact on elections and American democracy. The Research Director role is a full-time job. CEIR supports hybrid work at its office in Washington, DC. However, we will consider outstanding candidates across the United States that wish to work remotely. CEIR’s office hours are 9am-5pm ET, and the Research Director is expected to be available during that time regardless of location.
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with CEIR. Any offers of employment will be contingent upon the individual proving they are fully vaccinated and boosted (if eligible) against COVID-19. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local law.
- Graduate degree in relevant field
- 7+ years professional experience leading research activities in a non-profit, policy, or government environment
- Demonstrated interest in advancing evidence-based policy design and research
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfort working with internal teams and external partners
- Strong strategic thinking and decision-making skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with large data sets and knowledge of statistical software (e.g., R, SAS, Stata, SPSS)
- Commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion both in your work and in the workplace
- Experience with program evaluation
- Experience working with election officials
- Experience with statistical modeling, developing/implementing a data management plan, or other related work in support of data-driven research
- Public speaking experience (media training a plus)
- Live in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area (as noted above, we will consider outstanding candidates that reside elsewhere)
The salary range for this position is $110,000-160,000.
CEIR offers competitive benefits, including medical/dental/vision insurance, a 401(k) with employer match up to 5 percent of your salary, and unlimited paid time off.
Please include the following in your application:
- Brief cover letter or explanation of your interest in the position
- Writing sample
- Three (3) references
Not finding what you’re looking for? As a growing nonprofit, we’re always on the lookout for talented, driven individuals who are interested in joining the team. If you’d like to work with us as we seek to improve elections, let us know!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us how you can help the CEIR Team.
The Center for Election Innovation & Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class. CEIR will strive to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com or via phone at 1-202-780-1600.